Monday, April 28, 2008

Monday



It's Garbage Day!


49 degrees with a nice, gentle rain.

WKTV predicts that: .." weather is going to be cool, wet, and cloudy for the next few days. A weather system will give us some rain on Monday. Tonight, clouds will roll in with rain developing towards sunrise. Overnight lows will be in the 40s. A soaking rain is expected throughout the day tomorrow. Total rainfall is expected to range from half an inch to an inch. Most of the rain will fall during the first half of the day, and a rumble of thunder is possible. Temperatures will only be in the low 50s for most of the day. Showers and areas of drizzle will continue in the afternoon and evening. The winds also could pick up briefly in the morning hours as the main weather system approaches.
Monday's rain will turn into Tuesday's chill as cooler air works in."


***********


I stopped at the Library on Friday afternoon to look at the display of Kate McLane's photographs and drawings: "Very Nice work!"


In his office, Library Director Jeff Reynolds was copying ALL of the digitized, searchable collection of The Waterville Times from the little gray box at the right of the keyboard to a brand new iMac that will be loaded with "History and more History!"

More about the iMac and its purpose later!

*********

I wasn't around the village on Saturday, so missed the morning Clean-up and then the Spaghetti Supper. If anyone has some feedback on those events, I'd appreciate it!

I do know, thanks to Sandy Martin, that the Crimson Bonnets had a very enjoyable luncheon on Thursday:
" The Crimson Bonnets met Thursday at the Hulbert House in Boonville. Upon arrival the members were greeted by Miss Minnie Pearl. She was recognized by her signature hat with the price tag still on it. About 21 members were present. The Hulbert House is a grand old place and they served a delicious lunch. After the meal the members were entertained by Miss Minnie Pearl. She told many jokes regarding old age which kept everyone laughing. The meeting and entertainment was hosted by Adella McFadden. May's meeting will be held on May 29th at Hannah-leigh's Antiques and will be co-hosted by Mrs. Van Matt and Mrs. Tower. Members are reminded we will be exchanging secret pals at that time." (Thanks, Sandy!)


********

I've received a very nice letter from Tim Tarbox and I'll share some of it with you!

"
I lived in Waterville, then North Brookfield, then back in Waterville again until 1980 when I moved to Arkansas; I returned to live in Waterville briefly in 1983, returning to Arkansas in 1984. I have not been back since.

I was telling my 10-year old daughter about area where I grew up and was looking for some pictures; I looked for a Chamber of Commerce website which turned out to be a fruitless effort; I eventually emailed the Waterville Times, who turned me on to your blog.

Some things really took me back. The Waterville Hotel........

I see the underpass at Sangerfield still exists and still floods..LOL..

Field days..ah field days...for me it was all about the rides..but as an adult, I now know the beer tent was the real attraction..the concept of a beer tent here in Arkansas is unheard of..

I remember things like the five and dime, the Huddle, "the old high school"..I lived on Babbot Ave and would cut across the field walking to the Elementry School..for some reason, I think I went to Kindergarden in Deansboro..but I'm not sure about that one..There was an old laundromat on Main Street, I vaguely recall living in an apartment above it I think..before I was school age..

I was looking at your pics from around town, and would see house where kids I played with lived.. I could go on and on..

Best regards,

Tim

***************


I did see this new sign at the former Belfield Insurance Agency, on Main Street.

**********************


Out in the countryside, swamps are full of golden Cowslips. It's a little late for gathering the "greens," but I'm pretty sure that Marla and Don Brown have had their Springtime Feast of Catfish & Greens!


You can still gather Dandelion Greens. Did you know that they're one of the most healthy foods you can find, anywhere? Here's a very neat web page about this pesky plant with advice on how to cook them!



Coming soon: "Fiddleheads."

HOPS ARE UP!

Just another example of how far ahead of schedule many plants are: I usually tie my hops up on Mother's Day, but several vines are already two feet tall!

***************************

There have been several games since Friday: instead of
giving you all of the scores, here are the Standings.

Have a great day, Everyone!