Thursday, May 1, 2008

Thursday

Garry and Sharon Cope

*******

"Once Upon a Time, long, long ago ........."

when I was young, children nearly always hung little baskets of flowers
on doorknobs of favorite old ladies .........



....... and the students at Mt. Holyoke College, near my home, danced 'round a May Pole, carrying on a tradition that had begun centuries before,

but I don't remember a May Day as cold as this!

It's clear and crisp but only 27 degrees.

WKTV predicts that: "We will have a great start to your Thursday with mostly sunny skies and temperatures in the upper 30s but with plenty of sunshine in the morning and the early afternoon, temperatures will rise into the mid to upper 50s. Clouds will be on the increase in the afternoon ahead of a warm front. As a result, showers and thunderstorms are likely late Thursday night into Friday. Friday may be a cool day, depending on how fast the warm front clears our area. Still, as long as we see some sunshine, we'll see temperatures in the 60s."



******************

When I came downstairs this morning I poured my coffee, turned on my computer - as always - and then reached for my camera. That's when I stopped. It wasn't there! It wasn't ANYwhere! and then I remembered: yes! I'd had my hands full of groceries, when I came home yesterday afternoon, and a couple of other packages, too, and ............... no camera!
It's in the car and I'm NOT going out to get it right now, so here are a couple of pictures from last year!



The little wind flowers are blooming on the side lawn of the O'Dowd residence .........


......... and the Dutchman's Britches" are beginning to show up in the woods on Green Road.


This is what villagers were talking about last year.


This year, they're talking about Greg Williams.

******

Marcia Thomas sent me an E-note, yesterday, asking if I'd post this.

(I'm always glad to do that - especially when it comes to Music, Art, and Food!)

This Sunday 'Voices of the Tabernacle' will be presenting a concert of Choral Jazz

at 3:00 p.m. at the Episcopal Church in Sherburne. Some of the local performers Marcia Thomas, Karen Wheeler, Neal Roberts and Jim Coyle. Cost is $8, $7, for seniors and kids free. "It is really fun music."
********

Mr. Stanley Dziekonski telephoned to talk about the history of the "Academic Union." He'd asked Mr. Tony Farina - longtime yearbook advisor - and they'd come up with the same answer: yes: oldest in the country; "Evergreen." Stan also said that, according to Tony, the Waterville Oratorical Competition (now "Prize Speaking") was one of the very first (in either the country or the state) as well! I found this article in The Waterville Times, December 26, 1857. It does not refer to Waterville, but ............. close.


Then - from the issue of January 15, 1859......


**********



Have a Great Day!