Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Wednesday

April 16, 2007

(Click on the image, please.)

******************

This morning, however, it's 26 degrees; lawns are bare
and snow shovels have been put away!

The Window is open at Roc's ........

Marilyn's been decorating .........

....... Dan's Workshop out on Madison Street.

Blue Scilla (Scilla Siberica) or Siberian Squill is starting to bloom ........

making puddles or streams of blue in sunny lawns and flowerbeds like this - at the Samboras' on White Street.

Chives! Fresh chives!

***************


WKTV predicts that: "On Wednesday, we see warmer air begin to flood into CNY. Temperatures will be about 10 degrees or so milder than Tuesday. Highs should top off in the 60s, but mid to upper 50s in the Adirondacks.
Nice weather lingers into Thursday as we exceed 70 degrees. Highs of 70-75 are expected, with 60s in the Adirondacks. A weak cool front will try and push through on Friday, but it will be moisture starved, so while a sprinkle is possible north of Utica, things should continue mainly sunny and dry. Highs will once again be in the 70s."

Great Blue Heron
(photo from Google)

I've seen four blue heron in the past few days - or perhaps I've seen the same heron four times - but, at any rate, they're back - cruising Big Creek and probably building nests.


Look for their twiggy "houses" high atop hardwoods on hills. There used to be a huge "heronry" out near Brookfield; a few nests behind the Merriman Farm on Sanger Hill and a great number over near Peterboro.

*****************

In yesterday's mail was a letter from Lisa Rider Pardee, who grew up here in Waterville:
"Love the old photos!! Rod Rider is with an i not y :) He and Ted Wilson were good friends, Ted would come visit when ever he came to town to see his family - they lived up the street on Babbott Ave. I think it was in the house next to Ackers (on the left)."

*****
Jr. Bartlett wrote with a small correction:
"I goofed on my article for Richard Hilsinger - they lived on Berrill Ave. not Buell. I missed by one street over. Sorry...Junie . Berrill is the street that goes up by the Waterville cemetery and actually Y's off from Rte. 315. Rte 315 is Buell have right??" (Right!)

From Rick Reed:
"Thank you for your posting about my grandfather, Richard Hilsinger. He was a great man who will be missed. It meant a lot to see his WW2 pictures and read the email you attached. I will pass your posting on to my family."

- and from John Peterson:

"I am so very thankful for the work you do on this but especially of today's as the nice tribute to Dick Hilsinger hits me close to home. The whole Hilsinger family was close to our family, thru Dad as a teacher and the Episcopal church. Both Dick & his brother were long time amateur radio operators, inspired by Dad and his radio club at school. I have been in close constant contact with Dick on radio and computer for many years and believe me the airways will be alive with talk of his loss. I have met several people thru Dick & his radio pals who will always be part of my radio life as well as just regular friends. He was special to me and will be missed alot."

********************

Speaking of "Pete" Peterson .........

He - and his wife, Dot - were wonderful friends to Dick and me. I know that John's seen this photograph that my husband took of Pete c. 1972, but others might like seeing it, too.

**************


Have a good day, everyone!

AND

- to Mark Masca -

HANG IN THERE!!!!