Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Tuesday

52.9 degrees; drippy.





  • Today: Morning low clouds and fog. Sunshine developing, with near record warmth. High near 60 or in the 60s in spots. Upper 50s in the Adirondacks.
  • Tonight: Rain developing. Slight chance of a thunderstorm. Low in the mid 40s.
  • Wednesday: Rain, maybe a thunderstorm and turning cooler. Becoming very windy. Wet snow showers and flurries in the evening, especially N Oneida, N herkimer and Lewis Counties. High: 47, Low: 30

***************


I don't know how warm it got, yesterday, but snow melted ...


Mr. Williams had hosed down his driveway and lawnmower and grinned that he was "ready to go!"

and youngsters raced home from school to put on cut-offs and flip-flops!

*****


I did what a great many females tend to do when they feel a touch of Spring Fever coming on: I went shopping!


I went to McLaughlin's in Norwich! It really is a lot like the McLaughlin Store that used to be here, in Waterville. They carry Pendleton and Woolrich - and the salesgirls are as friendly as always. If YOU havn't been there, keep it in mind for a Spring Fever Outing!

****************


The parking lots around the Fire House and Municipal Hall were full, again, but an article in this morning's Observer Dispatch reads:

Police suspend ground search for missing man
WATERVILLE — The ground search for a missing Waterville man was suspended at 5 p.m. Monday, state police said.

An aerial search for Greg Williams will be conducted today, police said.

Police said they will continue the missing person investigation and will reconvene the ground search with forest rangers if any new leads are developed.

Williams was reported missing Wednesday. Relatives found a note from Williams stating he had gone coyote hunting, police have said.

About 40 state troopers, rangers and some family members searched Friday to find Williams after spending Thursday combing the area around Waterville and Tassel Hill, where Williams of 118 Stafford Ave. is believed to have been hunting.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 366-6000.


On Sunday evening, WKTV reported that Williams was carrying a pack that contained matches and other survival supplies.

***********

Finally!


The Red Lion Pub is Open!



Mr. Gary Hudson, completely at home behind the bar, where several imported draft beers are available as well as everyone's other favorites.


The decor is dark and gleaming - as a pub should be -

and several of his wife Pamela Brown's paintings hang on the walls.


Pub hours?
Watch for the two "beer signs" in the windows to be on.

Food?
When installation of kitchen equipment is complete.

*******

Do you know what Dick would have said, right now?

"Jolly Good!"
**********

Ms. Brown has also opened a B&B called "The Artist's Inn" on Babbott Avenue.
Ask for brochures at The Red Lion.

*******

P.S.

"For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning."

T.S. Eliot



2007 was a pretty intense year, for me. Now I want to move ahead, making my own schedule as I go.

If you read The Waterville Times, you'll find the following at the end of "In Timely Manner:"

" .............. for that reason, I wrote to Patty Louise last week telling her of my decision to take either a long hiatus or “retire” from (as correspondent to) The Waterville Times. In addition to working on Memorial Bandstand fund raising, I want to finish putting together chunks of family history that Dick and I had begun assembling and that will take me Northward to Mooers Forks and Eastward to South Hadley, Massachusetts. I have also decided to take on the challenges of a couple of “commissions” - combinations of writing, drawing and/or photography, much as I’ve been doing, but not just in this area.

I wrote “...... I don’t want to see the column disappear! Readers love it not just because they’re inquisitive but because it puts more of ‘Waterville’ into ‘The Waterville Times’ - and that seems to be as important to them as it is to me.”

Back in 2004, I set out to show Patty that a “social column” was possible. I want to thank her for making space in her newspaper available for the column and the Readers for their enthusiasm. Writing “In Timely Manner” has been my pleasure and privilege!

Now, I hope that one of you will volunteer or agree to compile material and that all of the readers will keep firmly in mind the fact that said “material” must come from them! It’s a team-thing; it’s Waterville’s history as it happens; it’s important and it’s fun!

*****************

Will I be giving up the Blog?

No Way!!!

Because the blog is primarily visual and posts can be made from anywhere and at any time that I find internet access and because I get so much more e-mail "input" from readers, it doesn't present the same problems to me that the column did. You may find that you're traveling here or there with me, now and then, but even that might be fun!


Have a great Day!