Saturday, January 26, 2008

Saturday Add-on

I think this needs to happen.

I really can't recall a time when everyday, on-the-street or 'phone conversations have swerved into such intense and intimate confessions of sadness and soul-searching mixed with professions of pride and patriotism as those I've had with residents and at long distance during the last several days - especially yesterday.

I have a somewhat limited view of Waterville in that I'm not directly connected to the School or the American Legion or any particular church or social or service organization, but I am aware of a great number of small triumphs that took place - acts of ingenuity and generosity for which no one intended to be thanked or praised - all because "we wanted to do everything just right!"

And now the question that lingers - "Why?"

At first, answers invariably began with the word "I" - but by yesterday afternoon the word was "we" as if reflecting a newly-realized bond.

I would not invite blog-readers to express themselves in this rather public forum were I not aware that there are some important thoughts that should be shared , contemplated and remembered.

Please feel free to click the "E-mail the writer" link at the top of this page and share those with us. Whether you choose to use your full name, initials, or remain anonymous is your decision.


Thank you for taking time to write.


(Condolences will be forwarded to the Sigsbee family; strictly political remarks will not be posted at all.)