Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thursday


*******************



It's Garbage Day!

56.7 degrees and clear, but still moist from overnight rain.

WKTV predicts that: "It should be partly to mostly sunny with a chance of an isolated afternoon thunderstorm. Warm and humid conditions will continue, with highs again in the upper 80s.
On Thursday night, with humidity, a chance of an isolated storm remains until Midnight. For Friday, we should max out in the heat department with widespread readings near 90 degrees."

*************


Down at Firemen's Field, the "King Swing" looked ready to ride and there was the sound of hammers on metal as other amusements were assembled.

**********************

Something else for Saturday afternoon:

an invitation from "Root Glen."


Family Day in the Root Glen and Garden,
“Build a Fairy House,”
for toddlers and young children, 1 to 3 p.m.

"We invite you to join us as we create our very own Fairy Village!"

Storyteller; Root Glen Discovery Walks; Scavenger Hunt; Refreshments; Magical Memento; Costumes are Encouraged. $5 suggested donation to benefit the Clinton Early Learning Center
To register call Sarah Wetherill at 315-859-4660 or email swetheri@hamilton.edu

(I've been very tempted to try and rent a grandchild so that I could go!)


I had a rare opportunity to visit the "wild garden" behind this waterfall on Gridley-Paige Road. I've known for many years that there was a series of ponds - perhaps four or five, all connected by waterfalls - that had been created by a man named McAdam in the early 1900's. It's always been Private Property; "Posted," and I'd never dared trespass to explore.

A great many of us have been fascinated with the clearing that's been going on next to the road and the new bridge and flagpole that have appeared but we've never seen anyone at work. ("Elves in the Night," perhaps?) No: a very industrious man named Ed Bennett! It's not his property, but with the owner's permission he's tackled a huge amount of clearing - much more than that which you can see from the road! - and, yesterday, he took me on an ATV tour of the ponds. What a treat! They were all part of a large game preserve that was surrounded by an eight-foot tall fence - portions of which remain.

You can read some history about the property at the Marshall Historical Society's website: click HERE. I'll do a search of The Waterville Times, later today.



View from the bridge.




The pond is home to a family of Canada Geese, some mallards, muskrats and a greedy turtle who, to Ed's dismay, likes ducklings for lunch!


Waterfall from the second pond.

There's a new bridge here, too.

(At this point, I stopped taking pictures - for two reasons: photographs never really do woodlands justice and, also, if I posted them here they might pose too much of a temptation to "explorers" undeterred by "posted" signs!)

I certainly appreciated that adventure: Thanks again, Ed!

***********************

Later, at the

FARMER'S MARKET in the PARK


The Samboras and Mrs. Sexton were there, shopping for supper at the Longview Farm booth.


Caitlyn Mackay was assisting her grandmother, Mary McLean, and showed me jewelry that she and her mother make as well as a dwindling supply of "popcorn pillows" of her own creation. (The sort that can be used, hot or cold, to soothe aches.) I asked her what she was going to do with the money she made and was told that last year she saved all of it to buy Christmas presents for her family!


This fellow, stopping at Edith and John Reile's display of home made baked goods and jams, knew exactly what he wanted: grandmothers always bake the best cookies!





Multi-talented Pam Brown had a beautiful display of prints, many of which are of architectural details within plain view, but too often unseen. The owner of "The Artist's Inn" B&B on Babbott Avenue, she also offered samples of many of some of the "Pammycakes" baked goods served there.

This table had a huge array of brightly-colored accessories .........


and -- right next to it and selling well! -- products made by Tassel Hill Honey in Sauquoit.


The silk flowers in Lori's arrangements look real, but you can count on them to always stay fresh without any care at all!

*************


Ending my afternoon with a stop at Foodking, I made a point of looking at this pretty wildflower garden right next to the store's parking lot!


I also slowed down - actually stopped - to take a picture of this unintentional "garden" on the Buell Avenue hillside of the Waterville Cemetery. Carefully mown 'round, it's a bright, fragrant patch of Wild Thyme!

*************

Here' - with his permission - is Tim Tarbox' letter, called "Ramblings"!

Just wanted to let you know I’ve really enjoyed your blog since learning of it a few months back; I’m constantly taken back with the pictures and articles; Mr. Van Wormer who recently retired was a great guy; he was Coach Van Wormer when I went to WCS; at the time, I was have lots of troubles at home; he actually offered for me to come and stay at his home until things could be sorted out; I declined his offer but never forgot his generosity.

I also followed a link to the school website from your blog and saw where Mr. Lonczak is the new Superintendent at the school; I recall having him as a teacher in his early days..seems like I had him for English, but they didn’t mention him teaching that subject in the story, so I may be mistaken about the subject. I seem to recall he was a good teacher..

It’s been interesting seeing the information on the Loomis Gang; my daughter has a book on the Loomis Gang, titled “Ride with the Loomis Gang” by E. fuller Torrey, M.D.; my mother currently resides very close to the Loomis gang area; as I vaguely recall from the daily school bus rides as a child, I think the old Loomis house is just down the road from her..

On the topic of local ghosts, do you recall if the old schoolhouse in North Brookfield is still standing? I was always told as a child it was haunted; I played baseball on a small diamond just behind it..it was on the right side of the road as you topped the hill, just before the decent into the main part of town, where the cultural epicenter know as “Buck’s Inn” was located. As a child, I would go in there each day after school and get a candy bar and a Sioux City Sarsaparilla. A fellow by the name of Ronnie Mason owned it. Some years later he opened an Inn in Sangerfield; I had moved to Waterville around the same time; I would ride my bike to the Inn and wash dishes for cash on nights when he had catered events…"

If you want to write to Tim, I'll be glad to forward your letter. I don't give out E-mail addresses, but the forwarding system seems to work just fine.

**************

No ballgames last night.

Have a Great Day, Everyone!