Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday

It's Garbage Day!

60.8 degrees;

damp, but not raining.

WKTV's forecast: "Behind the front (that moved through last night), the weather will be unsettled into Monday with more rain showers but less humid conditions. This pattern will finally begin to break down on Tuesday and Wednesday, with nice weather expected on Wednesday. Then, as we work into the 4th of July weekend, we will see another cold front begin to slide in on Thursday but clears out just in time for the 4th of July."


*************************



HAPPY BIRTHDAY
#95


to


DICK WOODMAN

*******

Daylilies are blooming, everywhere ...



............ and waterlilies are open on Bailey Lake.

"Watercolors" by Photoshop!

*********


I had noticed yellow flagging on several stones in the Sangerfield Cemetery .......


............ and on Saturday I found Mr. Ed Savicki and crew there making repairs.

Their work is paid for with a grant from the New York State Division of Cemeteries. Unfortunately, this only applies to the taller "spires," because they are considered dangerous.
Repairs to smaller stones that have broken are the responsibility of the cemetery association or the deceased's family.

*********


In the morning mail:

From Rosemary Wadas:

"
I just wanted you to know how much I enjoyed reading all the articles of "At Home In The Huddle"! My Aunt is Hedwig Eisenhut, my dad is Bill Stricker - Hedwig and Dad are brother & sister. They are a part of the Swiss generation that settled in Hanover around 1930. I especially enjoyed the pictures of farming in Hanover. I remember going up to Hanover just over the hill from where our family farm is on Barker Road, owned now by my youngest brother Bob Stricker. We often took a Sunday ride to visit with Grandma & Grandpa Stricker. The house has since been remodeled and "Young John Eisenhut", great grandson of Bartholomew & Katherine Stricker, lives in this beautiful home with his wife and children. On Sunday visits I can remember Grandpa always had his old fashioned push mower (no motor -now that's old fashioned!) out on the lawn. My brothers, Dan & Dick and my sister Linda and I would take turns "playing" with the lawn mower. It was exciting to hear the click, click, clickety clack of the blades rolling around inside that old fashioned contraption and each one of us would try to see who could mow the lawn the fastest. At the end of our "visit" with Grandpa and Grandma the lawn was completely cut except perhaps for a few skips in the grass! The time spent "playing" gave Mom and Dad a chance to visit on the front porch in the old rocking chairs and without knowing it, we accomplished what Grandpa no doubt was hoping we could do for him. I suppose it was a labor of love, but as far as we were concerned, we were having fun! "

*****************

"I love your website; I almost feel as if I know your town! But I hope you (or someone) will update it!
Hobart, NY (which used to be known as Waterville also) has a new website which you can access at www.hobarthistoricalsociety.org. The village is known as the Book Village of the Catskills, and the bookstore group also has a website, www.hobartbookvillage.com. You might like to look them up. C. Schoen (Hobart Historical Society).

I don't think that Ms. or Mr. Schoen has the current URL for the blog: I'll repair that problem.

*************

Great note from Gil Condon: subject - "Gardening for Fun"

"I bumped into this KohlRabi plant by accident. I planted 4 this spring and they're a huge success with kids ... they taste something like a radish. I cut em up into one inch wafers and soak in apple cider vinegar and have a salt shaker on the side... they devour em. Look em up on Google and they're German, but the seed says they're from Vienna (fight that argument later. They grow great and fast. Plant seeds in early Aug for Oct., Nov. parties."


Here's Gil's photo of Kohl Rabi

I did "Google" it, and found this really neat article.

**************************



Down in Whiskey Hollow, photographer Jody Hildreth climbs higher and higher!

That's a 12' step ladder that he's standing on and he's added "stilts" to his tripod so that the camera's view of the Hummingbird Nest is actually more like 15' high. He has been disappointed with the lack of clarity in the photographs that he's taken over the past couple of days: the dark, often rainy conditions haven't been the best for this subject mater, but I think we're awfully lucky to have these views - they look great to me!



The chicks are exercising their wings, more and more ........


............ and they're always hungry!

********


Meanwhile, on the back porch ............



............. there are four eggs in the Carolina Wren's nest.

Sandy Martin writes that:

"We also have some sort of Wren nesting on our porch - it is really in a bird house that is suppose to be just a decoration - the babies are starting to put their heads out. In fact, today we didn't see the mother at all and boy were the little ones mad - does that mean they will now have to get out and fend for themselves?"

Sandy also wants information about a restaurant called "Villa Isadora" that she saw featured on yesterday's Mohawk Valley Living. I think that that's in a huge old stone house a couple of miles beyond Richfield Springs - just before the mobile home store. But perhaps not. I hope that a blog-reader will correct me or be able to provide more information for all of us!

*********************

HELP WANTED!

"Handyman" (or woman!)

for moderately strenuous odd jobs and yardwork.
E-mail the Writer!


****



Have a great day, everyone!

******

Utica Monday Night Schedule
****************

REMEMBER:

TOMORROW IS BIG TRASH!