Monday, February 18, 2008

Monday


(That's a "link." Click on it to learn the history of the holiday.)


A year ago, this is what we were looking at!


Route 12 was closed for three days in a row and our DPW was working at midnight to make room for more snow!


Today, however,

It's 48 degrees!
_______________

I even took a cup of coffee out onto the back porch and listened to a bird who was celebrating Spring!

WKTV's forecast doesn't agree:

6 AM to 10 AM
Rain showers. Otherwise partly cloudy, very mild, and breezy. 45-50

10 AM to 2 PM
Mostly cloudy with the chance for a shower. 43-48

2 PM to 6 PM
Mostly cloudy with the chance for a shower. 40-45


I don't have a forsythia bush, but I'm reminded by a friend in Massachusetts - where they grow much more easily than here - that now's the perfect time to pick a few sprigs and bring them inside to force.

****************

I gather that I'm not the only one who'se been staring at her computer monitor all weekend, searching Tom Tryniski's website for ancestors' obituaries, local personages, and so on. (Amongst others, I typed in names like TOWER and BARTON and was amazed at what popped up!)

Now, Tom has sent me two sample scans of The Waterville Times microfilm:
I don't know if you are going to be able to enlarge these to their actual size to look at, but they really are VERY clear.






The clarity of the original print as well as that of the original microfilm copy has everything to do with the success of a "search." Tom's new scans will now go through an
Optical Character Recognition process, by which his computer looks at the image of a word - "Hanover," for instance - and ........................ oh! just click on that link: it really is 'way too complicated for me to explain accurately.

Have a Great Day!