Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday



I received this letter, yesterday, from Cpl. John Sigsbee's aunt, Donna Weeks:

"As John's aunt I can't begin to thank family, friends and the community for what they have done. I am over whelmed by the love and support. John was brought home to us a true hero. Althought he would say "I am not a hero I was just doing my job. I love what I was doing ."

We all must remember John left a family in Iraq that is still fighting for US and what John believed in. Please keep flying the red, white and blue in honor of them for John. John would be honored to know we are doing this for him and his brothers (extended family) in Iraq.

Thank YOU"


****************





- from a conversation ouside CVS, yesterday.

".... I mean, how do you pay back for that sort of sacrifice? I mean ... what do I do that makes me worth it? And I wonder if we're all worthy? Anonymous.

"Well ... maybe we better start thinking 'bout doin' it - being more worthy, I mean."
Anonymous.


***********

I was sent this statistic - which I didn't believe until I'd Googled it myself - as part of a letter citing this phrase from Lincoln's Gettysburg Address: " - that these dead shall not have died in vain..."

"
At least 618,000 Americans died in the Civil War, and some experts say the toll reached 700,000. The number that is most often quoted is 620,000. At any rate, these casualties exceed the nation's loss in all its other wars, from the Revolution through Vietnam. "

******

In re: the new Counter -- I've been fighting it, but so many people ask "how many?" that I'll give it a try. I've gotten it loaded but would like it better at the bottom of the page: I'll work on it!